Medical and clinical waste systems
Wastes arising from medical, nursing, dental, veterinary, laboratory, pharmaceutical and other similar practices are all managed using Cleanaway’s medical and clinical waste systems.
Three different coloured bins are used to collected clinical and related wastes:
Clinical Waste Yellow Waste bins – marked “Clinical Waste”, with the International “Biohazard” symbol
Cytotoxic Waste Purple Waste bins – marked “Cytotoxic Waste”, with the cell in “telophase” symbol
Clinical Waste Orange Waste bins – marked “Pharmaceutical/Anatomical Waste”, with the International “Biohazard” symbol
Features of Cleanaway’s clinical waste solutions
- Range of disposal units to meet collection and storage needs
- Safe, disposable, puncture and tamper resistant containers
- Secure containment, transport and disposal
- Australian standards approved
- EPA compliant service with associated EPA documentation provided
- Certificates of destruction available
- Professional, proficient staff to advise you on collection, storage and transport
- Disposable containers available
Cleanaway provides clinical waste bins to manage sharps, human tissue waste, labor
atory waste, animal
waste, and waste resulting from
dental, medical or veterinary research or tre
as the potential to cause
disease. Our clinical
waste bins are lockable, yellow in colour, lined with yellow PVC plastic bags and accompanied by bin stickers to ensure clear identification and encourage compliance.
Sharps include objects with sharp points or edges, capable of cutting or piercing the skin. When sharps containers are collected, another one is delivered, eliminating any risk of cross-contamination.
Our yellow or purple coloured sharps containers are:
- Available in a variety of sizes to fit the range of environments where sharps are generated
- Puncture and leak proof with a fully sealable lid and are also suitable to manage clinical fluids
- Accompanied by bin stickers to ensure clear identification
- Available also with a flip lid for easy access
Our range of pails includes 4 litre and 20 litre. Soft waste, fluids and sharps can all be placed in containers.
Cleanaway’s cytotoxic waste containers are available to manage material which is, or may have been contaminated with cytotoxic drugs in the preparation, transport or administration of cytotoxic therapy. This waste stream requires incineration as a method of disposal and must be packaged in purple containers that bear the 'cytotoxic symbol'. Cytotoxic items for incineration vary by State and Territory. Cleanaway’s range of cytotoxic container sizes includes a 20 litre, with other sizes available on request.
Pharmaceutical waste consists of pharmaceutical (drug, re
medy/medicinal substances) or other chemical substances specified in the Poisons List (Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Act 1996). Pha
rmaceutical waste includes expired or discarded pharmaceuticals, substances no longer required by patients or departments and waste materials/substances generated during the manufacture and administration of pharmaceuticals. All pharmaceutical bins are lockable, lined with orange P
VC plastic bags, have orange lids and/or bodies and are accompanied by bin stickers to ensure clear identification.
Medical wastes are stored, transported and disposed of differently to
general waste and the management of clinical wastes must comply with specific Legislative and Occupational Health and Safety guidelines.
Find out more about our medical and clinical waste services.